It’s great news when a pop star releases a truly epic single, but when they release a full body of work that stands out – it’s even better. We’ve been umm’ing and aar’ing for a while about which album of 2018 was our favourite, but we think we’ve finally come to a consensus.
Without further ado, here are our top thirty albums of the year.
1. JANELLE MONAE – DIRTY COMPUTER
Janelle Monae is a visionary. As if the well-thought-out and creative music videos for lead single ‘Make Me Feel’ and ‘PYNK’ wasn’t good enough, she dropped ‘Dirty Computer’ and it was THE BEST. It’s soulful, energetic, multi-layered, and we find something new to enjoy with each listen.
2. ROBYN – HONEY
We’re not gonna lie, this very nearly came in first. Having teased and teased for eight whole years, Robyn’s comeback was worth the wait. ‘Honey’ featured everything we loved about the Swedish singer, showing no signs of losing the spark. It’s neatly-compiled together with catchy lyrics and a glistening production, we just can’t get enough.
3. LYKKE LI – SO SAD SO SEXY
Lykke Li is one of those artists who can come back with a whole new sound and still make it their own. ‘So Sad So Sexy’ saw a more sensual and R&B-tinged sound to an artist who has previously dabbled in indie, dream pop, and electronica. Teaming up with Malay, the album blends together pop, trap, R&B, and addictive bops to create something special.
4. THE ACES – WHEN MY HEART FELT VOLCANIC
School friends Katie Henderson, McKenna Petty, Alisa Ramirez and Cristal Ramirez drew comparisons to HAIM when they first emerged. While understandable, The Aces stand on their own merits for their spectacular debut ‘When My Heart Felt Volcanic’. It’s an addictively catchy and strong vibe of indie pop and sun-scorched vocals.
5. KACEY MUSGRAVES – GOLDEN HOUR
The aptly-titled ‘Golden Hour’ has been the most successful album for country pop singer Kacey Musgraves so far in her career, but it’s also her best. Finding international success, the collection of songs are catchy and radio-friendly. Well-written, inspirational, and beautiful at times, it’s country music for the modern day, and it’s damn good.
Check out the rest of our top thirty below featuring the likes of The 1975, Tove Stryke, and Years & Years.
- Janelle Monae – Dirty Computer
- Robyn – Honey
- Lykke Li – So Sad So Sexy
- The Aces – When My Heart Felt Volcanic
- Kacey Musgraves – Golden Hour
- The 1975 – A Brief Inquiry into Online Relationships
- Alma – Heavy Rules Mixtape
- Lily Allen – No Shame
- Kylie Minogue – Golden
- Tove Styrke – Sway
- Hayley Kiyoko – Expectations
- Santigold – I Don’t Want: The Gold Fire Sessions
- MNEK – Language
- Years & Years – Palo Santo
- Christine and the Queens – Chris
- NAO – Saturn
- Pale Waves – My Mind Makes Noises
- Ariana Grande – sweetener
- Shawn Mendes – Shawn Mendes
- Sabrina Carpenter – Singular: Act I
- SOPHIE – OIL OF EVERY PEARL’S UN-INSIDES
- ionnalee – Everyone Afraid to Be Forgotten
- Allie X – Super Sunset
- Troye Sivan – Bloom
- Nicki Minaj – Queen
- Poppy – Am I A Girl?
- Cher – Dancing Queen
- MØ – Forever Wonderland
- HONNE – Love Me / Love Me Not
- Chvrches – Love Is Dead